• Modifications to the Rose Engine

    I have finally got around to doing some of the updates to the Rose Engine lathe that I mentioned in the original article here. I have added the new much beefier cross slide and mounted a CNC motor on it to do the engraving.

    I have had to extend the base due to the increase in size of the cross slide. I had an issue with the CNC motor when I connected it.  As long as the speed of the motor was below about 50% everything was fine. However, if I increased the cutter speed then the stepper motor would stall. After some help and advice from the forum on the DroneBot website the problem was eventually tracked down to the code on the Arduino, the original code from that site needed an additional line of code due to the fact that it had the ability to reverse the stepper motor direction. With this code modification everything worked properly. As I do not need the ability to reverse the direction of the stepper motor I then revised the code and removed that functionality and have disconnected the reverse switch and its wiring.

    In use with the new CNC motor and cross slide.

    The next modifications I intend to make are to completely rebuild the MDF case to reflect the new configuration and to finally replace the power supply with a dedicated 12v one rather than the modified computer PSU.

  • Burr elm bowl

    This is a small Elm burr bowl with a natural edge that is 10cm in diameter and 8cm tall. It was a part turned item from a deceased turners estate donated to my local club. We were allowed to take these rough turned items and complete them. Once completed they will be returned to the club and offered for sale at the annual club show on 16th October in Leasingham.

  • Ornamental Cherry and Sycamore box

    Cherry & Sycamore ornamental box

    This Cherry box is 70mm tall and 85mm in diameter. It has a basket weave type of pattern on the outside created with my Rose Engine lathe. The lid is enhanced with a 65mm diameter Sycamore cabochon that has also been decorated using a different rosette on the Rose Engine lathe. It is finished with two coats of satin lacquer.

    Close up of the lid decoration
    Inside of the lid with a different rosette pattern
  • Almond natural edge bowl

    This natural edged Almond bowl is 18cm in diameter. There were some cracks and worm holes in this piece of wood which I filled with green glitter epoxy resin. Even though I glued the bark on with some CA glue part of it became detached during turning, as a result, I removed the remainder of the bark. I then scorched the edge where I had removed the bark. The bowl is finished in satin lacquer and then buffed with wax.

    Almond NE bowl

  • Laser engraved Beech bowl

    This is a small, 15cm in diameter, Beech bowl finished in satin lacquer and then buffed and waxed. It was put onto the Rose Engine when complete and with a 16 bump rosette I used the laser engraver to burn three lines 2mm apart around the rim. The laser made two passes to engrave the lines a little deeper.

  • Bubinga box

    This Bubinga box is 70mm tall and 70mm in diameter. The rim of the lid and the base of the box are scalloped on my Rose Engine lathe after turning on a conventional lathe. The lid was engraved with a “puffy” pentagon rosette and double bumper to a depth of 1.2mm on my Rose Engine lathe. Finished with buffed satin lacquer.

  • Bubinga box

    This Bubinga box is 9cm tall and 7.5cm in diameter. Once I had finished turning it I put it on my Rose Engine lathe and decorated the top of the lid and the inside of the lid. This box is the first piece that I have embellished on the Rose Engine and I need to do some more practice. However, it has been given to Jeff who helped me make the Rose Engine.

    Bubinga box
    Bubinga box
  • Laser engraving

    I have recently built a Rose Engine lathe as detailed in this page and one of the options that I built into it was the ability to use the laser engraving attachment from my 3D printer. I mounted the laser on the bracket that normally holds the Dremel cutter with the magnets that come with the laser attachment.

    Laser mount

    I cut a small piece of end grain Sycamore and mounted this on the rose engine. Using one of the rosettes I burnt this pattern into the wood. The centre flower is burnt with the laser one side of centre along with the next outer shape. The outer two shapes were burnt using the laser the other side of centre.

    Burnt pattern
    Burnt pattern
  • Some more gnomes

    These gnomes are quick and fun to make. The first has a spalted beech body padauk hat and ebony nose. The second has a cherry body, acacia natural edge hat and a walnut nose. The first is currently available the second is sold.

  • Three gnomes

    These gnomes are made in various woods and stand about 11cm high. These all went to my family but I do have others in stock should anyone want some.

    Wooden gnomes